Name: Renae Mundy Age: 26 Country: Australia Gym: Impact fitness & combat Weight: 53kg Fight record: 3 Fights
1. How long have you been training Muay Thai and why did you become a fighter? I started just for fitness around 7 years ago, then had my daughter so had 2 years off. When I came back I took it more seriously and sparred and trained hard, and started to see I was alright at it and thought- Hey I could do this, I could actually fight! So I did!
2. What has been your biggest challenge as a fighter? Probably being a Mum as well and the challenges that come with that. Can mean not as much recovery time, some times your so busy that you forget to eat which can effect training performance etc. But absolutely wouldn’t change a thing!
3. Who do you get inspiration from? Mostly other female fighters & especially the new ones stepping up and giving it a go.
4. If you could fight on any promotion in the world what would it be and why? Havn’t really thought about that yet.
5. What is your favourite part of training? Training with my husband/ trainer, its a great bond and passion we share. And just the way you feel after a good sesh or fight!
6. How would you describe your self as a fighter? Very calm, a little too calm & relaxed sometimes. Nothing really phases me.
7. What are 3 things people might not know about you.. 1. I’m a full time Mum! 2. My husband Ash is also my trainer. 3. I’ve trained different styles of martial arts since I was 5 years old.
8. Do you have any pre fight rituals? I go to the gym on fight morning and move around a bit, jump in the ring for an extremely light sparring sesh with Ash just to get in the zone.
9. What are your fight plans for the rest of the year? To have as many fights as I can during the rest of this year, and early next year. Then hang up the gloves for a bit and have another bub!
10. Any advise for anyone wanting to give fighting a go? Jump in and give it a go! Over prepare yourself, and smash your cardio for your first few fights, they are usually fast paced/ rushy.
Anyone you would like to thank? My Husband/ trainer Ash for putting all his time and effort into training me and letting me sleep in on weekends to recover for next weeks training. My daughter for being an amazingly chilled kid, and being so well behaved when I’m training. All the gyms we’ve trained with and been a part of these last couple of years- K & M muay thai, The Station gym, Barossa muay thai & The Firm Willunga thaiboxing.
Interview By Natasha Sky Oct 2015, Photos Supplied
You can follow my Interviews, blogs and journey as a fighter (HERE)
Natasha Sky Professional Muay Thai Fighter