Name: Abby Nelson Age: 34 Weight: 54-56 Gym: Lanna Muay Thai Fight Record:10W,15L,1D
1. How long have you been training Muay Thai and what made you want to become a fighter? I started training when I was 17,so it’s been a while now 🙂 I love the discipline of the training of having to push mentally and physically, I think that’s why I started fighting.
2. What has been your biggest challenge as a fighter? It would have to be trying to fit everything in. I work as a remedial masseur, have 3 kids and help run the gym, It would be nice if there were just a few more hours in the day.
3. How do your Family and Friends feel about you fighting? My family and friends are very supportive, my husband is my trainer and my boys have been around the sport forever. I have 1 son who has started fighting so our life pretty much revolves around the sport.
4. What has been the Highlight of your Fighting so far? Iv had a lot of losses so when I win I’m pretty excited 🙂
5. How do you describe the feeling of being in the ring fighting? I really do love it, it’s such a mixed bag of emotions, I feel excited, nervous, focused.
7. Do you have any special things you have to do on fight day? I just try to chill out a bit, nothing special.
8. What is your favorite thing about being a fighter? I love the feeling of being fight fit. After fighting when your training is not as intense I miss feeling totally exhausted but good at the same time.
10. Any advise for anyone wanting to become a fighter? To absolutely give it a go, it’s very addictive. I can’t imagine anybody regretting the decision to fight, no matter how many they have.
Anyone you would like to Thank? I would like to give a big Thank you to my family and gym family, especially my husband who always believes in me, also to all the W.A promoters who make it possible to continue on with this crazy fight game:)
Interview By Natasha Sky, Sept 2014, Photos supplied
Follow My Female fighter interviews and blogs, also my journey as a fighter (HERE)